ILLUSTRADO WOMEN OF SUBSTANCE
I just came back from the Illustrado Women of Substance 2012. Its the first time I’ve been to the annual event, which celebrates Filipino Women! A wonderful initiative.
Being born to a Filipina mother, I have experienced first hand how spiritually, mentally and physically beautiful Filipino women are…
My mother in the Philippines (1985) maganda!
Personally I think the most beautiful thing about Filipinos is the ability to look at the positive side and remain hopeful no matter what challenges life faces us with.
I have met Filipino domestic workers in Dubai who have been wrongly abused, and yet remain grateful. The pain that they endure with smiles and laughter, and the unfaltering faith they have in God is a constant inspiration. It’s the same beautiful smile fraught with struggle and pain that I have seen in the Cebu women’s prison.. most of the women were wrongly accused or arrested and detained for petty crime, and because they are poor it can take years to be freed. Extremely sad… and yet they still sing, pray, laugh and smile…
Cebu womens prison 2009
PROVIDERS OF CARE, POSITIONS OF POWER!
From care-givers to politicians, Filipino women excel in supporting their families and their country. Filipino women are as much bread winners for the family as men are and you have many women in positions of power- even a female President. The Philippines is miles ahead of other nations in women’s rights! & for that pinoys across the world should feel extremely proud!
NIKON PHOTO COMPETITION
As part of this years event they held a competition to capture an image of what it means to be a woman of substance.
So I will leave you with a few of the fabulous images taken.. enjoy!
This ones just for fun. Just had to re-post these “signs that you’re Filipino” found online for anyone that hasn’t read them before!
You know you’re Filipino if…
- You point with your lips
- Your other piece of luggage is a “Balikbayan Box”
- You collect items from hotels or restaurants as “souvenirs”
- You smile (and laugh) for no reason
- You go to department stores and try bargain with the price
- Your middle name is your mom’s maiden name
- You’re perfectly comfortable in a squatting position with your elbows resting on your knees e.g
- You consistently arrive 30 minutes late for events
- You don’t sit on the bowl in public toilets, no matter what part of town or if your thighs ache like hell; and you flush the toilet with your feet
- When they play ‘Anak’ anywhere, your chest swells with pride and you say ‘that’s Filipino’
- You use shopping bags as garbage bags (always!)
- You enjoy watching Pinoy action films with the same plot: Hero and villain are mortal enemies. Hero’s family’s killed by villain. Hero seeks revenge. Hero meets bar girl with sad tale of past love. She comes from a poor family, that’s why she’s working in the bar. They fall in love. Villain kidnaps girl, threatens to kill her if hero won’t stop harassing him and his henchmen. Hero rescues girl, they run away. Chase goes on in a dilapidated car. Hero finally kills villain and police arrive. Hero and girl live happily ever after.
- You ‘open‘ and ‘close‘ the lights
- You ask for ‘Colgate’ instead of toothpaste (!)
- You say ‘Ha?’ instead of ‘what?’
- You say ‘Cutex’ instead of nail polish
- You say ‘he’ when you mean ‘she’ and vice versa
- You say ‘Aray’ instead of ‘ouch’
- You own a karaoke machine (usually with the magic mic too )
- You have a portrait of the Last Supper hanging on your dining room wall
- You have a Santo Nino shrine in your living room
- You have a giant wooden spoon and fork hanging in your dining room
- You have a rosary on your car rear view mirror
- You insist on fitting 8 people into a taxi, much to the distress of the driver, and say, ‘we’re making ‘kandong’
- You get smelling kisses from your grandma
- You know someone with a name that repeats itself, i.e. Jon-Jon, Len-Len, Jong-Jong, or Bing-Bing
- You have aunt or uncle named Baby, Girlie or Boy
- You think half-hatched duck eggs (balut) are a delicacy (I won’t post a picture link here… just google image search “Balut” if you’re curious.. :-/)
- You use your fingers to measure the water when cooking rice
- You fry Spam and hotdogs and eat them with rice…
- You eat rice for breakfast
- Your buy ketchup made from bananas and named after alien spaceships
- You unwrap Christmas gifts very carefully, so you can save and reuse the wrapping (and especially those bows) next year.
- You hate to waste food…. even if you’re totally full, if someone says they’re going to throw away the leftovers on the table, you’ll finish them, and you have Tupperware in your fridge with three bites of rice or one leftover chicken wing.
- Your parents try to get you to go on a date with a child of one their friends.
and I had a couple of observations myself and created my own top 10 too
You know you’re Filipino if…
1. Manny Pacquiao is your hero
2. You love the Black eyed Peas… because Apple is Filipino and proud!
3. You also delight in sharing all the famous mixed Filipino celebrities- Enrique Iglesias, Nicole from the Pussycat dolls, Bruno Mars… the list goes on!
4. You or someone in your family has been crowned ”Miss [insert name of village, town, island, or country]“
5. You spend a lot of time watching TV shows such as “so you think you can dance”, “X factor” “Filipinos got talent” etc.
6. You LOVE Bon Jovi. (and thats an understatement
7. You buy things in the sale, because they’re on sale.. not necessarily because you want or need them
8. If you’re female… you have an unhealthy addiction to shoes, Imelda Marcos, wife of President Ferdinand Marcos, owned 2700 pairs! (I’m getting there )
9. When the Egyptians showed their pride for their nation gaining people power, we had to say, well done, but we did it first
10. You’re in prison… but you are still dancin!!!!!